Air Treks

Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 11 - MeKong Delta

We had a different tour guide today who drove us about 2.5 hours to the MeKong Delta. We were both very excited for this day as we had booked Vietnam for this experience. It was not a let down. The pictures highlight our excitement to put on a pointed hat and cruise on the river. It amazes me that people still live like this, floating on the river or living right next to it in what we wouldn't park a car under at home.

 

One thing I have to say about Vietnamese is that they are extremely resourceful and creative. They use and reuse many of the natural things around them. They grow the different types of rice for the season, burn the outer shell for cooking, then replant the remains as fertilizer. They use the mud from the river to make bricks and all sorts of random plants and materials for items in their shops and homes.

 

A few highlights of the day:

1) Kristen told our guide for the day that we were NYU students from NYC traveling after our exams. She had been told in India to always lie about your profession to be either a student, social worker, or teacher. This way people won't try to take advantage of your money.

2) To date, I have not seen a sign for rent or for sale. Now obviously I do not speak any of the native language, but even where signs are in both native and English, there hasn't been anything that even resembles.

3) To date, no windows in local buildings or hotel have screens. Interesting as Mosquitos and bugs can be problems when opening up for fresh air.

4) a conversation in the car to MeKong:

Me: if you had to pick, would you rather live in Vietnam or China?

KT: That is difficult, but I guess Vietnam as you have a little more freedom. That's like asking if you would rather eat cat or dog.

Me: (without skipping a beat) Dog for sure.

KT: (with a look of horror on her face) you would eat Lou?

Me: Of course not. But I am allergic to cats

We both laughed at my quick response to what Kristen thought was a tough and complicated question.

5) I got a bit uncomfortable in one moment when the guide asked me a question: "I heard in America, some bitches..." I didn't hear the rest of the sentence as I was shocked at what he said. A few sentences later, I realized he meant to say "sand beaches". Freaking hilarious. Luckily I have an English to English translation guide with me, Kristen.

6) Kristen continues to be annoyed when they assume I am Mr. Kristen Thomas. When we use a credit card under her name, they ALWAYS assume I am Kristen. Obviously, no woman should have their own personal credit card.

7) I continue to be annoyed that everyone thinks we are friends since we don't share the same last name.

Pop Rice - Step 1

Pop Rice - Step 2

 

After visiting the Delta (the pictures do way better justice than my words), we made a detour to Can Thou for the night. We were supposed too fly to North Vietnam to visit the beautiful Halong Bay. However, the typhoon is hitting today so we are leaving Vietnam early to spend a few more days in Thailand. We are hoping to get to the airport any minute to hopefully catch the end of the Alabama/LSU game in the airport. It is 9:30 am Sunday here, so the game is probably halftime. I don't expect the channel to be available but hopefully we can get the audio via wifi.

 

Vietnam pictures click here


 

No comments:

Post a Comment