Air Treks

Monday, January 18, 2010

From above...

It is not very often that I speak of spirituality or life after death.  To be quite honest, my biggest fear is death.  Although I have never had my life threaten (thank you Lord), I feel that I have had more than my fair share of death.  I guess after all, I do choose to work in a hospital.  Anyways, I just had an amazing moment on the treadmill...

I got off work late today, so I wanted to get a quick run on the treadmill at the gym. I was the only one there (which I love).  Due to an Achilles injury a few months back, I have been trying to increase my mileage 10% with each run.  I was supposed to run 2.75 miles today.  I felt amazing at mile 1.5, so I mentally convinced myself that I should shoot for 3!  At about 2.6 miles, I was exhausted.  No Achilles pain,  just pain from being out of shape.  At that moment, I had to decide: quit at 2.75 or push through my out-of-shape endurance.  By coincidence, Cher "If I could turn back time" was blaring in my headphones.  I looked up in the air and pointed, asking my Dad for some help getting through 3 miles.  Within five seconds, my body was numb!  It was awesome.  True runners high.  I knew it was him, because with about a tenth of a mile to go, the numbness had worn off and I know that he would want me to feel the hard work through the finish line to "punish" me for being out of shape.  But thanks Dad for the extra push to get me through.

I never did like how I felt running.  I enjoy the runners high I get about 1 out of 4 or 5 runs.  But I really enjoy this part right now, knowing that I have finished the run!!!

That reminds me, I was thinking this past weekend about how amazing it was back in high school to run the mile.  I miss the feeling at the finish line where I literally could not stand up.  I want to get that feeling/experience back.

Thoughts to ponder:
1) What gives you a runners high?
2) When did you get special help from another spirit?
3) What do you miss most from your past: as a kid, high school, college, etc...?


No comments:

Post a Comment