Air Treks

Sunday, January 10, 2010

I have become one of them...


It used to bug me when I would go to the gym after the New Year and all of the sudden people cared about their health.  Well, I have officially become one of those people.  I think I have worked out as many times this week than I did in the month of December.  Getting back into shape is not fun.  Getting out of shape sure is.  I ate everything that looked good with no regard to restriction.  And now I have to pay for it.
The thing that I struggle with when getting back into shape is how hard do I go.  I have learned over the past few years that I am not 18 years old and can't all of the sudden go into fifth gear from first.  But I still have that mentality.  I have made the mental commitment to get back into shape, so I want to be in fifth gear.  The struggle I have is I have never learned how to go from gear to gear.  This week and next week: am I working hard and over doing it risking injury? or am I just being mentally weak and opting for the easy way out of getting back into shape.  
 It is amazing how my workouts have changed over the past five years.  Five years ago, Justin and I trained for the Chicago marathon.  How am I so sore today after running two miles?  I am probably sorer today than the days we would run 13 miles.  But nowadays, I understand the value in yoga, stretching, and swimming. If I workout everyday but do not do the above three, I do not feel healthy.  That being said, would swimming and yoga be over doing it today or am I being a big wimp if I skip the swimming? 







Also on the health front, I think a phone call from Clint inspired me to try my first triathlon.  Date: April 25th in Sullivan.  I haven't fully committed yet, but it is looking like a challenge I want to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment